To begin, what is Passwordless Authentication?Passwordless Authentication is a method that allows you to access into any computer based system or application without actually entering a password. You can be verified through “possession factor” that will exclusively recognize the user by a pre-defined means such as fingerprint , a registered cell , a hardware token , biometric signature etc. that isn’t knowledge based. It can reduce costs and security risks for various organizations, protects against phishing , password theft etc.
HISTORYIBM predicted that in the next five years we’ll no longer need passwords for email or even ATMs. “Biometric data — facial definitions, retinal scans and voice files will be composited through software to build your DNA-unique. (2011) Reporter Mat Honan fell victim to a Multipronged attack by hackers wrote “The age of the password has come to an end.”(2012) Heather Adkins, the company’s manager of information security, said on a TechCrunch Disrupt panel that “Passwords are dead” she also mentioned that the company is experimenting with hardware-based tokens.(2013) Vice president of Security , Eric Grosse and engineer Mayank wrote “Along with many in the industry, we feel passwords and simple bearer tokens such as cookies are no longer sufficient to keep users safe,” (2013) Christopher Mims, writing in the Wall Street Journal said the password “is finally dying” and predicted their replacement by device-based authentication.(2014)
Why your business should go Passwordless:
1.Consistent user experienceYou will be asked to enter something as simple as a fingerprint and a registered cell phone in your name to gain access . It’s more safe as it doesn’t ask for passwords and requires only single action from the user.
2. No Need To Be Concerned About Password TheftOne of the most significant reasons to adapt Passwordless Authentication is because you don’t have to worry about being hacked , getting your data violated or concerned about data theft. But in two-factor Authentication the attackers gets to know about you OTP while you purchase something or gets access to your login credentials your entire work is in risk.
3. Compact Requirement For SupportUsers are frequently asked to create a password that should be long and complex for improved security purposes , which becomes demanding to learn by heart. And in case you fail to remember , you are obligated to create a new one. That generates another setback that you have a series of passwords every time you login somewhere. But when you don’t have to enter a password anymore your work gets reduced and you don’t have to recall anything complex.
4. Improvisation Of User ExperienceA user generally has 70-80 passwords considering that they create different passwords for each website they login due to safety reasons. People mostly tend to abscond the site which asks them to fill up login details because it’s exhausting. Passwordless Authentication offers users with a more suitable , hassle-free way with the use of a hardware token , biometric system etc for one-time only.
5. Helps to Reduce Costs In The Long RunDue to the pressure of recollection of too many passwords , a user clicks ‘forget password’ button often and this costs the company you’re working with too much money. A company usually spends money on password storage , supervision and resets , and work on storage laws etc. Passwordless Authentication will be a one-time investment with less chances of identity theft and trouble to the company.
6. Effectual Defence Against Phishing and Password RecordsPhishing is a cybercrime which often aims to steal the users data including your login credentials , credit card details or to install malware usually with the help of a password or passwords that are for sale at a very low price( it happens when you have previously entered your login credentials in a website. But with Passwordless Authentication you won’t even have a problem with password theft.
7. Passwordless Authentication Solutions In Opposition to Brute-Force AttacksBrute-Force Attacks is a method of presuming your password through trial and error technique , which is quite often these days. They use various ways to crack the login details (using the most common passwords).Some moderators generally block the users after 3-5 attempts but some attackers use unusual techniques to surpass that. On the other hand Passwordless Authentication won’t ask you for such data.
8.Passwordless Authentication Strengthens Your Organization’s Cyber Security PostureIf the attacker gets the access to your password , it will gain the company’s confidential data , financial scam , share offensive posts , get into other employees personal data and manipulate it , may suffer a huge loss. With Passwordless Authentication you don’t have to worry about data theft because the hardware token gives access to a few permissible employees.
9. Frictionless Signup ProcedureActivating Passwordless Authentication is an easy , fast and secure process. It doesn’t ask for much information or takes much time to activate. Just few simple steps to access. Passwordless Authentication is the future’ and after a few decades passwords will become extinct. Going passwordless right away mitigates stress among users. No need to remember any complex words and letters further , and lesser the trouble the better overall user experience. It limits the possibility of replication and increases the security system. Even though there is some downside , the benefits are significant.
Written by: Sampreeta Subhakanshi